Thursday, May 19, 2011

I'm Alive

I am alive and well, more than well, actually. I am writing this from an internet cafe a short walk from our hotel. Which reminds me of how far back I need to go to update. We moved from Amelia's into a hotel, because Lee was miserable there. He couldn't sleep and ended up with a head cold. I was sad to leave because I loved being there, it was quiet and comfortable (for me anyway). I was worried to move, but Lee asked one of the guys we've come to know here in Goa, Ali, where would be a good place to stay and so it's actually just perfect.

We had to get a second bed though, and the second bed is a pool lounge, which makes me laugh. I want to describe that as very Indian, because I don't know what else to call it. But it does the job and it's more than some people here have, so I'm just taking this whole trip in stride, as best I can.

The bar/restaurant that has wifi is having problems with it, so we have been unable to use that. I guess I should go ahead and clearly state that internet is absolutely not a guarantee. We'll have to go to internet cafes like this one, so that might not be as frequent as desired.

As I sit here writing this with a cramp in my hand because these keys are so impossible, I think it's finally hitting me that I am in India. There is a fan going overhead, but my body is still sticky with sweat that never goes away, and the woman running the place today has Hindi music playing. It's so interesting, the differences, the similarities.

I am in India. How crazy is that.

Delia has been very busy and in a very stressful, very unhappy time in her life. India really does not want foreigners putting down roots here, so the longest visa one can obtain is for six months. Every six months Delia has to renew her visa, and this last time, they said no, you have to leave. She teaches piano here in Goa and families fly her to Mumbai for lessons as well. She has great talent, I hear, and India is privileged to have her. So right now she's waiting to hear whether or not she gets to stay. It seems that she is expecting that one day the police could knock on her door and say, "You need to leave." And that would be that. So we haven't seen her much. Between her own practicing for a concert coming up, giving lessons, and probably trying to rest emotionally, we haven't seen too much of her.

One thing worth mentioning is that I was sort of shocked to be walking down the street or in a taxi and hear all the bad American music I try to escape even at home. But it followed me here. And at first I was sort of embarrassed by it because it really is terrible, what we listen to, if you step back and examine it, but then I started to realized it's made me miss my culture for the first time. Even though Americans are said to have no culture, it's definitely different from here and to me that counts for something. I miss family and friends and my animals, but I hadn't actually missed home yet. And 50 Cent, Sean Kingston, Train, Sara Bareilles, Avril Lavigne, and Bruno Mars managed to do that for me.

Whenever we're winding down for the night we go down to the bar below our hotel. That's where Ali works. While Delia and Lee are engrossed in conversation and I sit off the the side awkwardly trying to figure out where I even am, Ali always waits to catch my eye and then motions me over to play pool. It's still a joke to play with me, but I dare say I'm getting better because he's teaching me. I also love the opportunity it provides to talk to people who actually live here. I should probably be more wary of the fact all three people who work at the bar are men, but it really doesn't bother me. Lee even commented to me today about how I really don't seem bothered or awkward about the fact that I am an eighteen year old female traveling with my sixty-two year old uncle. That could be awkward or difficult, but to me it's just normal. And we both agreed that it's because I was raised with three brothers.

So right now I'm just enjoying getting to know people. I'm enjoying getting to know people and I'm enjoying India and I'm enjoying the challenges.

I am in India and I am growing and learning and thriving. I'm not afraid, I am not overwhelmed. I am okay and I am in India.

There is so much to say and not enough time to say it. But Ali grabbed my hand and made me promise a game of pool tonight so maybe I'll just keep soaking it all in. As best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment